Lübeck [latin: Lubeca], first settled as Liubice by Slavs in the 8th century, first mentioned in 1076, lies on the Baltic Sea 65 km east of Hamburg, 2nd largest city in the state Schleswig-Holstein, 35th largest city in Germany
Population: 213.000 (2015) | 213.000 (1989) | 130.000 (1936) | 82.000 (1900)
Lübeck has been the „Queen of the Hanse“ (leading city of the Hanseatic League) from the late 13th to the 15th century and during that time was also one of the biggest and most important german cities. The remaining parts of the medival old town, including the famous Holstentor, have been declared an UNESCO world heritage site in 1987. Also Lübeck is known for the literature of the brothers Thomas and Heinrich Mann, as well as the Buddenbrookhaus made famous in the novel „Buddenbrooks„.
This panorama by Lutz Riedel represents a stretch along the Untertrave, a section of the Trave river. Some important buildings here are the St. Marienkirche (St. Mary Church) in the back, the Marzipan Storehouses right of the centre and the Carl Tesdorpf building (an eyxclusive whine trader) left of the centre. we also see two streets going into the old town, the Alfstrasse next to the church and the Mengstrasse in the middle, which goes up to the Buddenbrookhaus. The large Marzipan Storehouses still remind of the important role the city played in the production and trade of Marzipan in the 19th and 20th century.
You can also find another street view of the Mengstrasse in our Lübeck archive.
Click for larger view:
For classic view and further details visit the archive: