Kalovy Vary | Czech Republic | Stará Louka | Week 18

Karlovy Vary [english: Carlsbad; german: Karlsbad], assumed to be founded by Charles IV, Holy Roman Emperor and Czech King around 1350, lies about 120 km west of Prague and 150 km south of Leipzig at the confluence of the rivers Ohre and Teplá. 20th largest city in the Czech Republic.

Population: 50.000 [2014] | 56.000 [1991] | 55.000 [1930]

Emperor Charles IV, who appraised the healing power of the hot springs in the area, gave city privileges to the town, which was subsequently named after him. From 1526 Bohemia including Karlovy Vary belonged to the Habsburg Monarchy. In the 18th and 19th century Karlsbad gained more and more importance as the foremost spa town in central europe. Its visitors included Tsar Peter the Great, Goethe, Karl Marx, Morzart, Richard Wagner, Atatürk, Bach, Beethoven and Sigmund Freud amongst others. After World War II the german majority population was expelled from Karlsbad and the Czech Republic. Since 1989 the city is regaining its former spa town status, attracting international tourists, especially a large number of russian visitors.

The Stara Louka (german: Alte Wiese which means old meadow) lies at the centre of the Spa Area of the city along the Teplá river. It is regarded its most picturesque street and main esplanade. Here the valley is very narrow and the hills start right behind these buildings with a popular viewpoint pavillon seen above. A little further to the left the Art Nouveau Grandhotel Pupp is situated on this street, the major setting of the James Bond movie “Casino Royale”.

Find more material from Karlovy Vary in our Czech Republic overview.

Click for larger view:

Foto Karlsbad Alte Wiese Tschechien

For classic view and more infos about the street (german link):

Karlovy Vary Stara Louka

An alternative view of the Stara Louka as a classic panorama:

Karlovy Vary Stara Louka

Another street view (work in progress) from Carlsbad:

Kalrsbad Panorama Preview

Munich | Germany | Residenz München | Week 17

Munich [german: München], first mentioned 1158, lies 350 km west of Vienna, 300 km north of Venice and 500 km south of Berlin on the shores of the Isar river. It is the 3rd lagest city in Germany and 19th largest city in Europe.

Population: 1.439.000 [2014] | 1.229.000 [1990] | 729.000 [1930] | 500.000 [1900]

Munich has become the seat of a bavarian duke in 1255 and in 1506 it became capital of all of Bavaria. Munich hosted the 1972 Olympic Games and is home to the Oktoberfest, the world’s largest Volksfest. The city is a financial and cultural centre of Germany and home to Bayern München, one of the most prominent football clubs of europe.

Here we see the complete west side of the Munich Residenz, which had been the Residence of the Bavarian Rulers from 1508 to 1918. The Residenz is the largest city palace of germany. The main facade here was built as the Maximillianische Residenz in the early 17th century and is dominated by two portals flanked by lions and a statue of the mother of god as Patrona Bavariae. On the right end we see the side facade of the Königsbau next to the Max-Joseph-Square.

We have captured a number of Streetlines in the bavarian capital, find a summary of the material we worked on in our Munich overview.

Click for larger view:

Munich Residenz Residence

For classic view and more infos about the square (german link):

Muenchen Residenz