Deauville, first mentioned around 1060 as A Enilla, lies on the Normandy coast, west of Trouville, separated by the river Touques, also about 175 km west of Paris.
Population: 3.800 (2012) | 4.300 (1990) | 4.800 (1931) | 2.900 (1901)
Deauville was just a small farming village up to the 1850s. Then Charles de Morny, half brother of Napoleon III., transformed it into an elegant seaside resort. With its race courses, marinas, villas, harbour, Grand Casino, international Festivals and the close proximity to Paris it became the “Queen of the Norman Beaches”. Deauville is home to several festivals and horse events throughout the year, the most prestigious being the Deauville American Film Festival. Marcel Proust worked on his novel “In search of lost time” during his summers in Deauville.
With its development into the prime seaside resort in the Normandy, Deauville attracted the wealthy and famous french (including Coco Chanel, André Citroen, Yves Saint Laurent, Josephine Baker, Gustave Flaubert amongst others) and became the Parisian Riviera. Hence one could and can also find the high-class fashion labels in Deauville, with a concentration in the Rue du Casino (Casino Street), right opposite the Casino Barrière de Deauville. The flamboyant style of half timbered houses in Deauville is a product of the neo norman style of the late 19th century.
Visit our archive for other streetline panoramas from the Normandy.
Click for larger view:
For classic view and further details visit the archive: